[Peyton-observing] Public observation log on May 15th

Munan Gong munan at princeton.edu
Thu May 16 10:47:25 EDT 2013

Hi all,
After the false sunny afternoon and false cloudy early evening, the weather
finally became clear at 8:45, and the public observation is announced to be
on at that time. Due to the late notice, it became a fun 'private'
observation session of astro people.

We had historically impressive observation of M51(Whirlpool Galaxy) - two
blobs are definitely there although spiral arms can well only be in my
imagination. Saturn is totally gorgeous, with the ring and 5 satellites
visible. Some bright individual stars can be seen in GC M13, and surface
structure is definitely well visible. M104 (Sombrero galaxy) is
distinctively awesome with the bright and faint sides divided by a dusty
belt. The golden and blue double star Albireo are the most colorful
highlight in our vision, and the ring nebulae is really a ring-like blob.

Although Princeton is not the best place for observation, but we surely
have the most fantastic people for a fun star gazing night :)
A million thanks to Chelsea, Tim, Alex, George Pete, Kedron and Miguel.

Munan