[Peyton-observing] tomorrow

Jegunn jeg at astro.princeton.edu
Tue Sep 8 22:23:01 EDT 2015

Hi, Munan and all.

It was cloudy tonight, so I was not able to completely check out the
telescope. It moves OK, and I presume other things work, but am not sure.

The red fluorescent light which is absolutely necessary for public nights
was not operational when we cleaned the telescope last week. Susan ordered
and we received two new bulbs, but they do not work well (they are a
slightly different type from the old one). They do not always turn on.
It is on now, and I would just leave it on, but the trick to get it
to turn on is to turn it on for a while, a minute or so. If you look
carefully, it IS glowing slightly, but the arc does not strike. Then
turn it off and IMMEDIATELY back on, and it lights (or at least it did
repeatably for me tonight).

I will be in Baltimore tomorrow night, so cannot help, but perhaps your
collective wisdom will prevail if there are problems. My cell is
609-955-2799 if you need, though I doubt I will be much help..

Good luck!

--jim