[Peyton-observing] Public observing update

Elisa Chisari nchisari at princeton.edu
Tue Feb 5 20:56:24 EST 2013

Hi everyone,

We had a great suggestion from Stephanie for doing a bit more publicity
of the public observing sessions. My impression is we might get too many
people at once if we advertise in the local newspapers, so it might be a
good idea to start by advertising the event in some campus-wide
newsletter before taking the next step. Any suggestions?

The other suggestion we had is to set up a comments section in the
webpage for the public to leave their suggestions/questions, etc. The
public website is written in php. I don't have a sense of whether this
is easy to incorporate. If you have experience with php, please speak up.

Finally, we are keeping a schedule of all observing events (public,
classes, etc) in the webpage in the "internal" section (you need to be
on the Peyton network to access it):
http://www.astro.princeton.edu/observatory/internal/index.php
So if you know of any planned observing nights or you are planning to
host one, please take a look at that page.

A reminder that the East button on the telescope still does not work, so
if you haven't had to deal with that, please ask someone who has been
observing recently to fill you in on the procedure for setting up before
your next turn.

Best,

Elisa