[Peyton-observing] Public observing: 7 February 2013

Renee Hlozek rhlozek at astro.princeton.edu
Thu Feb 7 10:53:34 EST 2013

Dear all

We had a super observing session last night! Chris, AJ, Chelsea and I had
about 45 - 50 (kindly head counted by one of the guests) people from 8-10pm
in the dome.

This was due to the clear skies, many people told us that they had been
trying to come for a while and so jumped at the chance.
The telescope worked well ("E" button only moving when it was very cold)
and we managed to see M81, Jupiter, Pleides, Orion's nebula, Betelgese
(apparently red stars are a hit) and Mizar.

Given the large numbers of people, we had half up on the deck and the rest
down the stairs having science discussions - so it helped that there were
many helpers around for crowd control.

All in all I was happy to have a successful evening as a first go!

cheers
Renee