[Peyton-observing] Student event successful; more observing later tonight

Christopher J. White cjwhite at princeton.edu
Sun Dec 6 06:22:08 EST 2015

This second round was even more successful, and included a comet.

Started with Jupiter and a test of eyepieces. The new 15 mm and 8 mm eyepieces haven't been easy to get good images with (perhaps not surprisingly, given then I think 3048 mm focal length of the scope), but I decided if they would do well at all it would be with Jupiter. With the old 32 mm, I could clearly see the two main equatorial bands, with two thinner bands visible for ~50% of the time when seeing was good. Similarly with the 40 mm + Barlow. With the 15 mm I could barely catch the main bands, and only for brief periods. With the 8 mm I could semi-reliably catch the main bands, and every once in a while I thought I saw a third. This experiment should be repeated with others' eyes, on different nights, perhaps at different times of the year. There were no transits or occultations or shadows to be seen tonight.

Got to see Mars, Venus, and a nice crescent Moon. Earthshine lit up the dark side, with the maria clearly visible against the brighter background. If we ever show the Moon at public observing, we can try moving the entire lit side out of view.

Tested the limits of deep-sky targets with a mini Messier tour. Caught the obligatory 42 and 45 before heading on to 44 (OC), 3, 53 (GCs), 49, 51, 63, 64, 81, 82, 84, 86, 87, 94, 104, 106 (galaxies), and also 40 (double star) and the ever-elusive 1 (Crab, and just barely). 97 defeated me.

Finally, went for Comet Catalina, as Gaspar suggested. Sure enough, there was strongly centrally concentrated spherical object between kappa and iota Vir. The telescope placed it at 14h19', -8d17m. Unless there's also globular cluster there, I'm pretty sure I was looking at the comet. It's a bit close to the Moon, and I didn't see either of the tails, but it was more visible than some of the above Messier objects.

Chris